Do you have a custom domain that you would like to use instead of our "geni.us/" domain? No problem! You can now better brand your links by using your own domain to ensure that your branding and message aren't lost in translation.
There are a few steps to get your custom domain set up, so please contact us to get the process started. Once you're in touch with us, and we're ready to move forward, we will ask you to follow the instructions below to modify your domain’s DNS settings.
Note: Custom domains are currently only available as an Add-On for $50 a month. Please let us know if you have any questions about this and we'll be happy to help!
Configuring your custom domain
There are two options for configuring your custom domain:
Point a domain to us
Point a subdomain to us
Depending on which route you want to go, here are the steps you'll need to take to set things up!
Setup - Point a domain to us (e.g., https://mydomain.com/VanityCode)
This domain must be dedicated solely for geni.us links (e.g., NO blog, mail, website, etc., can be used on the domain)
1. Log into your domain registrar (where you purchased your domain) and update your domains “nameservers” to the following. Note: this often requires selecting an option to “Use your own nameservers” instead of using the domain registrar company's default nameservers.
Warning: If you are using this domain for anything, updating these nameservers will break those other uses. Proceed at your own risk!
2. Once the DNS settings have been saved, reply to the thread you already have going with us about your custom domain. We'll ensure that the domain is now pointing to our services and run some tests.
3. Once our tests are done, you'll be able to log into your account and use your own domain any time you create a new shortened link (see screenshot at top of page).
4. That's it! You're now taking full advantage of our global infrastructure which guarantees your links send each user to your chosen destinations as quickly as possible. Nice work!
Setup - Point a subdomain to us (e.g. https://go.mydomain.com/VanityCode)
This is best if you DO want to run other services under this same domain (e.g., blog, website, email, etc), and/or are OK with a subdomain.
Log into your DNS provider (Note - this may be where you purchased your domain, may be your web hosting company, or in some cases is another 3rd party security/web performance company such as CloudFlare)
Create a new subdomain (or repurpose one). Again - this subdomain should only be used for your shortened links through Geniuslink) Leave nameserver configuration as-is for the root domain so everything else continues to work as expected.
Add NS records (we recommend a TTL of 24hrs) for the subdomain to each of the following nameservers:
4. If required, publish/commit these changes.
Note: Depending on your existing DNS settings for the domain, these changes may take up to a few days to fully propagate across the internet.
5. Reply to the thread you already have going with us about your custom subdomain. We'll ensure that the domain is now pointing to our services and run some tests.
6. Once our tests are done, you'll be able to log into your account and use your own domain any time you create a new shortened link (see screenshot at top).
7. That's it! You're now taking full advantage of our global infrastructure which guarantees your links send each user to your chosen destinations as quickly as possible. Nice work!
Switching over from another URL shortener, like bit.ly?
Make sure you contact us before doing any of the above! We'll need to coordinate with you to ensure there's no downtime when making the switch, so please make sure you reach out to us before changing settings. You'll also want to export all of your links, then pass them over to us so we can add them to your account and continue to serve them for you.